Brad Ruggles

The Art Of Living

Reasons For Increase In The Number Food Poisoning Cases In Kenya

An incident was reported on 18th July 2005, the family once celebrated an arrival of a newborn calf by having colostrums from a cow, which is known as a traditional ceremony in the Abagusii community. But just after few hours, 4 children died and 399 people got hospitalized due to vomiting, nausea, and diarrhea, which are the symptoms of bacterial blood-borne illness.

Due to that, milk safety was the biggest concern that was raised. But it should not be forgotten on the other hand that raw milk intake is the best medium for many micro-organisms as it consists of higher water content, neutral pH, Proteins, carbohydrates, and fats. Milk is generally safe to drink after pasteurizing or boiling which kills disease-causing micro-organisms. Fermentation is done in order to extend the shelf life of milk by inhibiting micro-organisms. The acidity developed by fermentation helps in destroying pathogens like coliforms.

Quicker fermentation is occurred by lactic acid bacteria which ferments it to lactic acid and which is used to make traditional fermented milk products like mursik. This can be known as “good” bacteria and the same procedure is used to make milk products on a commercial basis like yogurt and maziwa lala. Boiled and processed milk must also be stored hygienically in order to prevent it from contamination which can result in food-borne illness.

The incident is let us think about that the milk which was consumed was not ready for normal milk but from colostrums, which is the milk produced during first few days after giving birth, known as calving. Colostrums contains less amount of fat compared to regular milk and also have a high amount of proteins, any normally they are immunoglobulin which helps to protect a newborn from microbial infection in the first few days. It is known that there is a difference between normal milk and colostrums in terms of chemical composition, but they are prone to microbial issues. We have some resources by which we can reduce the risk of food poisoning so if we start freezing the milk we can keep it fresh for a long time.

Also read : Freezing methods to keep food fresh.

Though the laboratories who are trying to identify the causes of food-borne illness have not yet declared the cause behind the disease. But as per their reports released before, it is actually a case of food intoxication, which is actually a disease caused by having a milk with the microbial toxin, different from food infection which is actually caused by ingestion of pathogenic bacteria in food and microorganisms start to multiply in the body.

Still, there are many species those are already present in milk before leaving cow’s udder, also bacterial infection also causes pathogens in the milk, which is the main culprit in food poisoning in Gucha, an organism called Staphylococcus aurous, which is caused due to contaminated milk and sub-clinical mastitis. It also results in food intoxications. Among many human populations, they are a healthy carrier of S.aureus, which can be existed in many nasal cavities, which can be seen on the hands and under fingernails.

An organism can be easily transmitted while handling or preparing or while storing food at certain temperatures for a longer durations which causes bacterial growth. It is possible that the colostrums can be extended in one week at certain temperatures, which allows microbes to multiply and produce toxins in milk.

Staphylococcal food poisoning is different due to its shorter incubation period, like 2 to 6 hours or it can also be shorter as 30 minutes sometimes. Those symptoms are nausea, stomach cramps, diarrhea, and vomiting. Illness can last for 24 hours causes a non-fatal. The seriousness is dependent on the number of toxins taken and immunity power of an individual. People like infants, young children, and pregnant women, the elderly have a higher risk of food-borne illness. If people understand the process of preserving the food, this problem will reduce day by day itself.

Some bacterial toxins are heat resistant and some are entering toxins, and they get deactivated only after boiling for more than 30 minutes. So if anyone has a doubt that it contains S. aurous, then boiling food can destroy some amount of bacteria but it is possible that toxins those produce illness are destroyed by the process. So it is important to prevent food from contamination with the toxigenic organism.

Milk should be handled with care and hygiene since it is susceptible to microbial spoilage. So it is important to boil raw milk before consumption and fermentation. Once treated, it should be stored in clean containers to avoid contamination.

After Gulcha tragedy, it should be thought about the traditional ceremony called Abagusii in order to avoid the risk of food-borne illness, so it should be thought of twice which is consumed on the universal basis.

  • Published On : 1 week ago on August 7, 2018
  • Author By :
  • Last Updated : July 30, 2018 @ 3:49 am
  • In The Categories Of : Health

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

';